Sunday, August 22, 2010

Trying to jump start this blog

I know there are tons of frugal blogs out there and for sure I am no expert. Now throw in a big monkey wrench like my dh being diagnosed with diabetes this month and saving money on stuff like groceries takes a big turn. Now, let's face it, many coupons are for processed foods, or junk food like chips-which I love love love. Rarely do I see anything for fresh produce and now that is what we have to purchase more of. So................we have been to the farmer's market the past 2 Sundays after church. Purchased items such as blueberries, apples, squash, zuchini, new potatoes. We spend less there because we are not purchasing in bulk but buying what we think we will be able to eat in a relatively short time. I know, I know bulk buying is one of the core things with frugality but we have a tendency to let produce go bad. Hopefully by buying less, we will actually get to eat it before it goes bad.
What do you guys think?

3 comments:

  1. Oh, thats tough. I hope dh and you are doing alright! I think buying at the farmers market does inspire me to be extra careful in making sure I use my fresh produce.

    For example last week I purchased the last peppers that were available at the market. I ate them with salsa and beans today. I had to. I couldn't let my lucky peppers sit in my fridge neglected and ignored. The people behing me in line were vocal in telling me how lucky I was to get the last peppers. Now, if they had been peppers from Safeway I would still feel bad it they went to waste but I wouldn't consider them my lucky peppers. I may not have made the extra effort this morning to make a lunch around them.

    Overall I don't find fresh vegetable prices significantly different from a farmers market to a sale in a big box grocery store. Large bulk portions of frozen veggies or canned goods can be acquired more inexpensively at big grocery stores and discount locations than at fresh farmer market veggies. But in the summer I want fresh and local. Absolutely :-)

    Free range, humanely raised organic meat on the other hand has a big price difference. So we just eat less farmed meat overall and spend the extra money.

    Not frugal with out of pocket, up front money. But frugal through sustainability, with the environment and our health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only things I ever "stock up" on are things like pasta, oatmeal, canned goods, etc.: things that can't go bad. It doesn't save any money to buy in bulk what you cannot eat before it goes bad. Buy fruits and veggies that you'll eat that week, unless it's something like onions, potatoes, or carrots, which keep for a long time. Better to not get as good of a deal and to actually eat what you buy than to "get a good deal" and waste half of it because you couldn't eat it all. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Phoebe! Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm curious about the book you mentioned you're reading on hospitality. Could you share the title of the book?

    As far as trying to save money and buy healthy food, I'm right there with ya! One blog that I like is http://organicdeals.blogspot.com/, which posts more health-conscious (specifically organic, but also a variety) sales and coupons that I've found helpful.

    I also freeze a lot of stuff, too! I blogged about it here: http://lifeblessons.blogspot.com/2010/01/fruits-of-freezer-getting-more-out-of.html

    Thanks again for stopping by!!

    ReplyDelete